Percentage of 4 to 5 year olds that scored advanced, average and delayed on selected school readiness tests, Canada, 2000/2001 and 2006/2007
*There are a number of measures of school readiness/academic ability among 4 and 5 year-olds.
The Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test (PPVT-R) assesses a child’s verbal ability and scholastic aptitude by having them look at pictures and identify the picture that matches a word spoken by an interviewer.
The Who Am I? test involves copying and writing tasks. The copying tasks in the assessment are designed to assess the child’s ability to conceptualize and reconstruct a geometrical shape. The writing tasks assess the ability of the child to understand and use symbolic representations such as numbers, letters and words. The child’s ability to complete the tasks depends on many factors including maturity, culture, experiences, and language skills.
The Number Knowledge test assesses a child’s ability to understand and use numbers
Source: CICH graphic using data adapted from The Well-Being of Canada’s Children, Government of Canada Report, 2011. http://www.dpe-agje-ecd-elcc.ca/eng/ecd/well-being/sp_1027_04_12_eng.pdf -accessed July 28, 2017
In 2006/07, the majority of children from 4 to 5 years of age demonstrated an ability to hear and understand vocabulary.
In 2006/07, 70.1% of children from 4 to 5 years of age scored at the average level on the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test (PPVT-R) and another 15.8% scored at the advanced level – for a total of 85.9%. This was marginally up from 85.5% in 2000/01.
The majority – 81.4% – also scored average or advanced on the Who Am I test in 2006/07 – down from 84.8% in 2000/01.
83.6% of children from 4 to 5 years of age scored average or advanced on the Number Knowledge test in 2006/07 – down from 85.3% in 2000/01.
Warning: file_put_contents(): Only 0 of 1377 bytes written, possibly out of free disk space in /home/cichprofile/public_html/wp-content/themes/cich/vendor/illuminate/filesystem/Filesystem.php on line 122