Employment rate, 1976–2011

Although the employment rate for youth 15 to 24 years of age has fluctuated over time, the rate in 2011 was just slightly less than that of the rate in 1976. However, the composition of employment for this group changed significantly. In 1976, 78.9% of employed youth worked full time and the other 21.1% worked part time; in 2011, 52.6% of employed youth worked full time and the other 47.4% worked part time.


“Like adults, teenagers can feel somewhat burdened with their day-to-day unpaid and paid work responsibilities. Approximately 1 in 10 regularly felt very stressed with not having enough time in the day. Similar proportions were quite or extremely stressed because of school, while 16% considered themselves workaholics. Almost 4 in 10 reported being under constant pressure to accomplish more than they could handle, and 6 in 10 tended to cut back on sleep when they needed more time.”1

1Marshall K. (2007). “General Social Survey, Perspectives on Labour and Income: The Busy Lives of Teens.” Statistics Canada. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/75-001-x/75-001-x2007105-eng.pdf – accessed on June 29, 2012.